I’m turning 25 in July, and it’s making me think more and more about my future. So I decided to write a letter to my 30 year old self.
Dear 30 Year Old Self,
Greetings from your past! Currently life is kinda hard. You’re in transition. You’ve been suspended from your job and you have no idea whether you’ll be fired. You are over $125,000 in debt, and are making less than $40,000 a year. You are struggling to understand where God is in all of your mess, but you haven’t given up faith or hope. Even though your 24 year old self has gotten the shit knocked out of her, she is still ever optimistic. Here is what your 24 year old self is hoping for you in the future.
- She hopes that you have forgiven yourself for all past mistakes. Shit happened. Move on. Get over it.
- She hopes that you have forgiven everyone who has done you wrong. Shit happened. Move on. Get over it.
- She hopes that you have learned to love yourself well and are comfortable in your own skin. You are an incredible human being. You are unique. To admit that is not entitlement, arrogance or conceit. It’s stating facts.
- She hopes that you have learned to control your thoughts better. You are not a victim of your mind. You can cultivate your mental garden. It takes discipline, but you can do it.
- She hopes that you are debt free!!!!
- She hopes that you are making HELLA BANK! You’ve worked so hard for so long. Hopefully you’re enjoying the fruits of your labors.
- She hopes that you are with a man who is deeply in love with you and devoted to you. You are such an extravagant lover. Hopefully you’re with someone who reciprocates that.
- She hopes that you are free from your approval addiction. You can do bad and good all by yourself. You don’t need people to tell you what you already know.
- She hopes that you are doing what you love. Life is too short to waste time on frivolous and meaningless pursuits.
- She hopes that you are enjoying healthy, balanced relationships with family and friends. These kinds of relationships are important and not to be taken for granted.
- She hopes that you have furthered your education and have gained more skills and connections. Hopefully you’ve graduated from Harvard with a JD/MBA. Hopefully you’ve met some amazing people and have had the opportunity to not just learn and glean from them, but also add value to their lives.
- She hopes that you are currently owning your own business, if not several. Entrepreneurship has always been on your heart and mind. Hopefully you’re living the dream.
- She hopes that you matured in your faith. Hopefully you have a greater perspective on the purpose of suffering, and the beauty of redemption
- She hopes that you have added value to many people’s lives and are living your dream of making the world a better place.
- She hopes that you have travelled extensively and have experienced the delicious cuisines and the beautiful landscapes of many other countries and cultures
- She hopes that you are enjoying life, are content and are grateful for every minute